Words by kind permission of Mr. Alan
The Town Trail starts at the North end of the High Street at no. 11, Fox & Manwaring Estate Agents.
Fox & Manwaring, Corner of Croft Lane Barclays
Bank and the Market Yard
A victorian building erected by Goodwins which has an interesting
stained glass lantern at the apex of the roof. Corner of Croft Lane
- Originally the Gas Showrooms. Built in 1935, as was the Post Office
opposite. Barclays Bank' Passageway with ancient high boundary wall.
Market Yard There has been a market in Edenbridge for at least 750
years with a number of annual fairs abolished in 1880. Site of a
regular cattle market from the mid 1840's until 1928.
It also hosted the pre Christmas Fat Stock and Rootstock Show from
1869 until the late 1950's. A general market is held on Thursdays.
2. The Parish church of St. Peter & St. Paul
Most likely on the site of a Saxon church,
evidence exists for a Norman church. Largely
rebuilt and extended in the Early English period,
the double roof was originally entirely covered
with Horsham Slabs.
The Clock with an hour hand only, the Font and
the Jacobean pulpit are notable as are the Seyliard
and Holmden family memorials together with the
Jemet tombstone amongst others. Medieval Graffiti
at the base of the 'squint pillar' and the Bume-Jones window at
the East end are also worthy of seeking
out. 'The Lych Gate wasdesigned by a Mr. Sales,
a local carpenter, and its erection a
3. Church Cottage
A mid 15th century timber framed building,
evidently rebuilt circa 1600. Once known as the
Kings Head it was part of the Market Yard boundary
and the original front door opened on to it.
Originally the Chequer Inn, it became the
Parish Poor House. Rebuilt as the Church
School (National School) in the 1850's.
The western half was demolished when it became
the Library, which transferred from 'Doggetts Barn'
5. The Priest House
Originally an Open Hall House with a recessed
centre (a Wealden Hall House), it is jettied to the right.
There may have been a bay to the left which would also
have been jettied. Elaborate dais beam at the High end
of the Hall.
Nos. 2 & 4 Church Street
Built in two halves by a local family of builders
named Goodwins, possibly from an early l9th
century pattern book on Town Houses. Unusual
brick and tile features which also appear
elsewhere in Edenbridge.
77 & 79 High Street Farringtons Jewellers/Edenbridge Bookshop
A mid 15th century building which originally had a
recessed centre (a Wealden) and was jettied at
both ends. The entrance to the Bookshop is the
original Cross passage at the Low End of the Hall.
Medieval loft at the north end. At one time this was
the fire station. Horses were brought from elsewhere
in the High Street when the Bell, which hung in the
Gable, was rung.
On the site of an early medieval water mill.
Built late 18th century. Two storeys until circa
1906 when an extra storage floor was added.
A Low Breast Shot Water Wheel drove two pairs
of stones. Along Mill Leat to the west and, unusually,
the Mill pond is at the rear. In use until the 1968
flood when the Great Pit Wheel fractured.
Stanford family of Lingfield and Haxted Mill
joined other Baptist families in moving to
the town and gradually built their Church.
See Plaques on front wall.
See also Height Marker for flood warnings
against south side of building.
The Great Stone Bridge
Most likely in Roman times the then wider river would have
crossed by a causeway and the first (wooden), bridge was then built
by a Saxon Abbot called Eadhelm, which name eventually became Edenbridge,
the name of the town, although not the river which is a tributary
of the Medway, until some time later. A typical five arch pack
bridge followed and was eventually replaced in 1834 by the present
bridge. The Trust which looked after the bridge was probably formed
in 1511 and received gifts for this maintenance from a deceased
local's estate. Two Bridge Wardens, George Langridge and Augustus
Corke are commemorated by an 1836 stone plaque together with a
plaque which signifies yet another attempt in 1902, to install and
retain, a sundial. A plaque on the opposite side indicates that
the lamps were provided by the Great Stone Bridge Trust to commemorate
the Coronation of
Queen Elizabeth II - 2.6.1953.
The parapet stones were numbered, removed and
carefully stored at the outbreak of WWII so that Tanks crossing
the bridge could be better targets!
Bridge Garden/Riverside Walk
Beautiful Riverside walk or just relax and have a picnic
on the Paved area with seating, illuminated at night.
The Riverside Walk is maintained by the
Great Stone Bridge Trust for public use under licence.
94 and 96 High Street
(Thatchers & National Light Horse)
Two separate buildings in association but some
50 years apart in date of construction.
94 was a two thirds Wealden Hall House with an
open hall, built c.1400. The filled in jetty (to the right) would
have been similar to that of The Priest House.
It has two Crown Posts and two King Posts. When
'floored over' before 1550 two floors were inserted.
WWI memorial plaque to tannery workers on the
north wall. 96, built c.1450, was a Public building, originally
unheated. Jettied to the front it had a shop
and workshop on the ground floor. Access to the first
floor 'enrobing room' was by a wide staircase at the
rear. The 'meeting hall' had a wall painting at the
west end. Note the 'ecclesiastical window' first
The tanning of hides in Edenbridge dates back to
at least 1447 when a William Beal, a tanner, left the
tools of his trade to his son in his will. It is known
that the Tanyard was in existence on the site in the
reign of Charles 11 (1660-1685). It was greatly expanded by the
Whitmore family from the mid l9th century and their product was
much in demand, particularly during WWI and again in WWII.
The chimney and the distinctive smell vanished in
the 60's and then the main part of the works to be
followed by the 'Leather Market' redevelopment of the early 70's
which included the current car park. Leather House (Tanyard House)
Built circa 1400, a timber
framed Open Hall house with an octagonal crown post, similar to
one in '94'. The Cross wing is jettied on the
side (concealed) as well as the front, with the only
known Dragon Post in Edenbridge.
and Eden Banks
Probably, the original building was late medieval, circa 1450. On
the north side of the Mill Leat, it has 'The Chocolate Box' at the
south end, formerly a Butchers. The building up to the beginning
of the 19th century, probably included 'The Bull Inn'. It was extensively
rebuilt in the 17th century as the north wall panelling and the
internal roof structure indicate. It was again substantially 'refaced'
Mill Leat Excavated about 1400, it begins way to the west
at the confluence of the Eden and the Kent Brook where perhaps
another mill stood? Both the river and the Mill Leat levels were
by weirs so that the requisite amount of water was available to
drive the water wheel on the east side of the High Street. Eden
Banks in Lingfield Road had 'Boating Rights' in 1908!! Following
the l968 flood an extensive flood prevention scheme included 'chokes'
which had the effect of reducing the water in the Race to a negligible
amount. Various schemes are under consideration to make it a more
Built for Sir William Taylour, a member of' the
Grocers Company, who was Lord Mayor of London in
l468. His coat of arms are in the right spandrel of the entrance
door and that of the Grocers company in the
left. At one time called "The Griffin" it has a fine
inserted Jacobean staircase and a number of Jacobean
wall paintings on the first floor. The building in the
adjacent lay-by was the Town's cinema (Negresco)
The Old Crown
The sign across the road is unusual and of great
antiquity. The building was originally end on the the
High Street and erected circa 1375. It has a tall
octagonal crown post (visible) and very elaborate
moulded decorative timbers. The bay nearest the
High Street was replaced by the present crosswing
also with elaborate mouldings in the roof, ground and
first floors. The furthest bay was rebuilt in brick in
Now Edenbridge's Town Council Chamber and
Offices; - whilst derelict, it had a spell as
The Library in the 60's. Behind the Church House, formerly Doggetts
Farm House, it was one of the barns
for Doggetts Farm whose fields were to the west and
north west and totalled some 200 acres, practically
all now contain housing.
Owned by a member of the Seyliard family in 1577,
having been rebuilt by a Doggett, it has passed
through many owners until a Miss Geraldine Rickards wished to benefit
'The Church' and transferred her ownership to locally appointed
trustees in 1921. Subsequently it became the property of Rochester
Diocese and the Church. Now the property of the Town Council, and housing the Eden Valley museum. Could
well have been built in 1378. The brick facing dates from the 18th
century. The farmhouse for Doggetts Farm within living memory it
is (with the Crown next door) the oldest surviving building in
White Horse Inn
Timber framed building faced with brick in the 18th
century. The date 1574 and two pairs of hand shears
are carved into the first floor bressumer. Celebrates the union
of Rafe Shears and member of the Holmden family whose father gave
them the land on which to build. Daily coach to Westerham started
here in the early 19th century - arrived too late for the connection
with the London coach, stayed in Westerham all day and brought
passengers arriving from London to Edenbridge.
Ebenezer Chapel / Bridges Centre
Built in 1808 by John Tyler as an independent
place of worship, it was a Calvanist chapel. By 1991
the congregation had dwindled and the building was threatened with
demolition. Community action resulted
in 'Bridges' community Centre.
St. Lawrences Presbytery
A manorial site, the building beneath the tile
hanging is mainly 18th century with a 19th century
'facelift' when the yard was in use by a Timber merchant. At
one time called Barnhawe it became in 1920 the first Edenbridge & District
Hospital in memory of those killed in WWI.
The Hospital moved to the Mill Hill site in 1931
together with the War Memorial.