first record appears on the will of Sir Reginald de Cobham dated
1361. Always a corn-mill it ground
to 1919 and then, like most other wind and water-mills, was reduced
to grinding meal for local farmers until 1945.
Mr. W. Woodrow, the previous owner
spent 20 years in restoration and the collection of exhibits before
the mill as a Watermill Museum in 1969. Recently a complete refurbishment
programme has been carried out,
including the full restoration of the waterwheel and mill race.
Western hall of the double frontage Mill was built about
1580 on the early 14th century foundations, while the Eastern
half was added in 1794.