first recorded settlement on the site was by Ella, King of the South
Saxons c.AD490. Subsequently the medieval castle which occupied
the entire island was built by Lord Reginald Cobham c.1342, who
also built the medieval parish church of Lingfield.
In 1649 during the civil war, the castle was occupied by Oliver
Cromwells parliamentary forces and demolished. After which the site
remained derelict for more than a century. Around 1754 Sir James
Burrow raised the level of the central island and landscaped the
grounds build the present gothic style ornamental pavilion re-using
medeival material from the site.
The castle is a grade II Listed building, an ancient Monument of
the county of Surrey and a scheduled National Monument.