in North West Kent, is preparing for a
spectacular display of Christmas trees during its
annual Festival in the town’s 800-year old church.
From 28th November,
St Mary’s Westerham will be filled with twinkling lights as
Christmas trees transforms the historic church into a veritable
Christmas grotto. The event is organised by St Mary’s Heritage
Trust and local schools, businesses, clubs and societies, families
and individuals all get involved to bring and decorate trees. Contributions,
which light up the aisles for 10 days, range from the sophisticated
and elegant to the entertaining and quirky.
The trees will form a decorative backdrop to the National Youth
Ballet performance of The Nativity, the finale to St Mary’s
Heritage Trust’s 10th Anniversary year celebrations. Helen
Ogden from St Mary’s Heritage Trust said: ‘St Mary’s
has been at the heart of the community for centuries, and this Festival
really gets the community involved. It also encourages people who
don’t normally visit to come into the Church, enjoy its rich
history and the community spirit. This year we have some never-seen-before
trees, and the marvellous Youth Ballet finale.’
Westerham’s festive diary:
28th November: Late Night
Shopping, 5pm to 9pm; Lights Switch On, 6.30pm
28th November - 8th
December: Festival of Christmas Trees in St Mary's Church
is free, open from 10am to 5 pm daily except for Sunday 30th November:
12 noon to 5pm and Sunday 8th December: 12 noon to 6.30pm when visitors
are invited to join the Advent Carol Service.
Refreshments available all day on Saturday 30th November. Regrettably
the Festival will not be open on Saturday 7th December as the National
Youth Ballet performs in the Church that day (see below)
1st December: Carols on the Green, 5pm
For more details of Westerham’s Christmas celebrations, see
December: The Nativity performed by National Youth Ballet. For full
details and to book tickets please visit http://www.stmarysheritagetrust.org.uk/events/event/nativity-ballet/
small town of Westerham offers a variety of independent retailers,
between them offering a wide choice of unusual Christmas presents.
The hand-made, the vintage, the one-off and the uncommon are watchwords
in this pretty, historic town.
Among its dozens of shops are several high-end antique/interior
design shops and a variety of boutiques including shoe, handbag
and country clothing specialists. Furniture, jewellery and chocolates
– all handmade - are available, as are various spa and beauty
full list of the stores can be found at http://www.visitwesterham.org.uk/visitors/v-shopping
Westerham is located on the A25 between Oxted and Sevenoaks. It
has xx shops and five car parks (Darent is the largest with 97 spaces)
and a twice monthly Farmers’ Market (October 6 & 20; November
3 & 17; December 1 & 15). The Christmas Late Night Shopping
Evening is on 28th November. Most shops are open Monday to Saturday
to 5.30pm; a selection is open on Sundays.
First day of Christmas … putting on the glitz
- Lingerie set by Fantasie, bra £38 briefs £20. Available
from Entre Nous
- Joseph Ribkoff evening top (pictured) £249 and necklace
£21.50. Both from Prelude
Second day of Christmas … filling stockings
- Stay smart using your smartphone with Tech touchscreen gloves
for £10 from All About You
- Stay individual with a Knicker making kit! £16.50 from Annie’s
- Keep track with a calendar. Various designs/prices from Chocs
on Green and Hospice in Weald
Third day of Christmas … seeing clearly now
- Palazzo shaped over mantel mirror in a lightly-aged silver leafed
finish. £275 from Beverley Dean interiors
- Binoculars, goggles (all sorts – ski, swim etc) and diving
masks, with or without prescription. Prices from £10 to £500
at Westerham Eye Care
Fourth day of Christmas … decking the halls (and beyond)
- French 1920s Art Deco figure, signed Maxim. £395 from a
selection of decorative items at The Design Gallery
- Cire Trudon exclusive French candles. From £60 at Taylor
- Girly Glamour Liquid Art. Prices start at £90, different
sizes at The Interior Design Studio
Fifth day of Christmas … looking a million dollars
- Umbrella Black Mycra Pac coat. Lightweight waterproof coat in
jolly colours reversing to black; comes in useful travelling bag.
£279 from Judy French
- Italian leather handbag £69.99 and purse £29.00. Range
of colours available from Zebra Zebra
Sixth day of Christmas … party time!
- Pop a cork or two - Moet & Chandon champagne (Nisa £39.25)
around the dining table. Painted and bespoke furniture from The
Vintage Home Company and The Old Bakery.
- Turkeys (including bronze and free range), sausages and trimmings
from L A Larratt, local butchers
- Whisk up something yummy with a Kitchen Aid £428.95, or
Cusipro whisk £13.99. Both at Steamer Trading
Seventh day of Christmas … time for treats
- Yummy handmade chocolates. Prices from pence to £££
at Chocs on the Green
- Handmade and individually designed jewellery. Prices on application
from Flawless Jewellery
Eighth day of Christmas … keeping young and beautiful
- Aveda Hair products, 96% naturally derived. Prices vary, from
Grace Hair Design
- Gift vouchers, various prices, from Roakes Spa
- Bronnley moisturising lotion, from £6 at Day Lewis Chemist
Ninth day of Christmas … something for all the family
- Satila big pompom hats, available in pink, blue, white, red or
navy; newborn up to 5y. £17.50 from BebeBonito
- Baby bear (£199), Mummy bear (£299), footstool bear
(£169), scarf (£19), ladies and gents hats (to £49).
All from Orvis.
Tenth day of Christmas … relax!
- Local history - Westerham a Social History 1865 - 1919 by Bill
Curtis? (£13.99) at Chocs on The Green
- Local tipple - gift pack of four Westerham Brewery beers (pictured
- £9 from Nisa)
Eleventh day of Christmas … up up and away
Travel the world, get inspired at Westerham Travel. Prices vary!
Twelfth day of Christmas … snuggle up at home –
- New kitchens - Ruach Kitchens offer a choice of kitchen designs,
with 250 different doors/colours
- New home … beams and Inglenook next year? Details of listed
houses and character cottages from local estate agents.